Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chocolate Depression Cake

I love the name of this, puns abound. That this type of recipe was common during the depression, that it may be a balm for depression, and that you make three depressions in the dry ingredients to add the wet.


Anyway, this recipe was recently handed down from my great-grandmother on my mom's side. I haven't made it yet, but it's nearly identical to another depression cake recipe I have. My recipe calls for oil instead of butter, but we all know butter makes you batter better. I also note that there's no salt in this recipe. I'm going to experiment at some point with adding 1/2 tsp of salt.

If you're feeling decadent, doubling the recipe (and the pan size) is encouraged.



In a 9 x 9 ungreased baking pan sift 1 1/2C flour
1 C Sugar
3 heaping teaspoons cocoa
1-teaspoon soda

Make three indents in the sifted ingredients
Place 1 teaspoon Vanilla in one
1 Tablespoon Vinegar in the second
5 Table spoons Melted butter in the third

Pour 1 cup of cold water over the top and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It’s heavy, but really tasty.


Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger The Little Truffle Maker said...

This sounds yummy---I think I am going to try it but will use organic Palm Sugar instead of refined sugar (kind of making it a bit healthier??) LOL

November 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Lavand said...


After a long time, I read a very beautiful and very important article that I enjoyed reading. I have found that this article has many important points, I sincerely thank the admin of this website for sharing it. Best Chocolate gift Malaysia service provider.

October 11, 2021 at 1:11 AM  
Blogger Pistachio and Honey said...

Good information. Thanks for publishing such special information. You are doing such a good job. This information is very helpful for everyone. Keep it up. Thanks. Gift hampers

October 28, 2021 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger Occasions said...

You have worked nicely with your insights that makes our work easy. The information you have provided is really factual and significant for us. Keep sharing these types of article, Thank you.Best Online Cake Shop In Amman Jordan

March 1, 2022 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger SugarFall LTD said...

You have a genuine capacity to compose a substance that is useful for us. You have shared an amazing post about Glasgow Cake Shop thanks for sharing this information with us.

March 8, 2022 at 3:50 AM  
Blogger SugarFall LTD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 24, 2022 at 2:29 AM  
Blogger filipinasgifts said...

check this kind of article and I found your article which is related to my interest.Chocolate delivery Philippines Genuinely it is good and instructive information. Thankful to you for sharing an article like this.

April 8, 2022 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger SugarFall LTD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 6, 2022 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger SugarFall LTD said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 6, 2022 at 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home